Canary Wharf Penthouses
If you’re thinking of moving to Canary Wharf and want to capitalise on the area’s high-end appeal, a penthouse is the perfect choice of property. The concept of a penthouse first emerged in the 1920s; an era associated with glamour and fine living. Soon, they were regarded as the most decadent homes on the market; a reputation that persists to this day.
A penthouse is the ultimate in luxury lifestyle, offering residents incredible views of the capital, plus a range of appealing features and amenities. If you’re considering buying or renting a penthouse in Canary Wharf, here’s everything you need to know.
What is a penthouse?
Originally, a penthouse was defined as a smaller house, (rather than an apartment), built on the top of a tower-block or skyscraper; mainly to make use of the roof space.
These days, the meaning has changed significantly. Now, the term is used to denote any luxury accommodation at the top of an apartment building. In fact, it doesn’t even necessarily have to be at the top – some are now situated on lower levels.
Often, a penthouse will have larger dimensions than the other apartments in the building. It’s also likely to have a roof terrace or balcony, offering residents views across the city. As for the interior? Given that penthouses are associated with prestige, the décor is usually high-end, with state-of-the-art appliances, expensive flooring and carpeting, and usually floor-to-ceiling windows. Sometimes, a penthouse may even be spread over two or more floors. These types of property are typically found in exclusive enclaves of the city. Canary Wharf, with its focus on creating a lavish lifestyle for locals, is a notable example of a location with plenty of penthouses on offer.
Attractions of buying a penthouse
There are a lot of benefits to buying a penthouse in Canary Wharf. These include:
- Great views - Most penthouses are situated at the top of the apartment building. This means that residents can make the most of the unrestricted views of the city. In Canary Wharf, there’s also the added bonus of being close to The Thames.
- Privacy - Penthouse owners or tenants usually enjoy a much higher level of privacy. The elevated positioning of the property means that they’re unlikely to be overlooked by other apartment windows, and as they’re usually at the top, it’s unusual to hear noises from other residents in the building.
- Larger outdoor space - Usually, penthouses tend to offer larger-than-average outside space. Some even come with rooftop terraces.
- Concierge - Most premium developments have a 24-hour concierge on hand, who can be called upon to assist with any issues, and to book restaurants, taxis, beauty treatments and so forth.
- Exclusive facilities - Many Canary Wharf developments cater for high-end buyers. That means that residents can expect a range of top facilities, like a fully equipped gym, meeting rooms, social areas or bars, and sometimes even a swimming pool or sauna.
- Security - Resident safety is always taken seriously in top developments. As well as a 24-hour concierge, most apartment blocks come with several protective measures, such as CCTV, gated security and video-security at the door of each apartment. Some also offer securely locked car-parks, usually located beneath the building itself
The cost of a penthouse
There are several factors that will affect the price of a penthouse. The location is a major factor; quite simply, the more desirable the area, the higher the cost. Canary Wharf is more affordable than many other parts of London, so it’s possible to buy or rent a penthouse here at a far more reasonable price.
The specifications of the penthouse will also make a difference to the cost. As with any property, the following will have an impact:
- The number of bedrooms
- The dimensions of the living area
- The size of the outdoor space
- The quality of the décor
- The apartment block as a whole (e.g. facilities on offer)
There are various financing options available; an expert estate agent will be happy to go through this with you.
Penthouses available through Morgan Randall
Morgan Randall have a range of exclusive penthouses for sale in Canary Wharf. Here are just a few examples:
- Phoenix Heights - This exclusive penthouse is set over 3 floors and has over 1,200 sq ft of living space, plus a terrace.
- Ontario Tower - If you’re looking for incredible views, this upper floor penthouse apartment is worth checking out, with two bedrooms and two bathrooms.
- The Gym - a key element of modern life to many, and most canary Wharf penthouses have access and use of luxury private gyms. It is simply about where this feature sits in your list of lifestyle requirements.
- Capital East - This upper floor one-bedroomed apartment offers the penthouse experience without the price tag. The floor-to-ceiling windows really capitalise on the view.